Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hurdles

In the past, I have avoided hurdles at all costs.  I put off things that are out of my comfort zone, to the point of forgetting all about them.  This I am trying to change.  Yesterday had several events that I would consider "hurdles."

Hurdle #1: Upper G.I.
The first hurdle was having my Upper G.I.  I was actually terrified. How was I going to put that yucky liquid in my brand new tummy, without losing it.  My gag reflex and I don't have the best of relationships.  But I just kept telling myself, "You just had major surgery.  This is a small thing.  You've got this."  And I prayed.  And God and I made it through that Upper G.I. just fine.

Hurdle #2: Consuming Liquid.
It was rough getting started, and I could have easily gotten discouraged.  But I kept telling myself, "I don't have to be an over-achiever."  And so I took things at my own pace.  I didn't get much in (six ounces of water, an ounce of sugar-free Jell-o, an ounce of chicken broth, and an ounce of tea.)  Basically, it took about an hour per ounce.  But I did it!

Hurdle #3: Exhaustion
I woke up exhausted.  Yesterday's nearly-one-mile of walking had worn me out.  How was I going to do six laps today?!  Instead of looking at it as six laps, I looked at it as one lap at a time, and I got them in!

Today's Hurdle: Increasing Fluids
Today's hurdle is consuming a 32 oz. pitcher of liquid in order to go home (and another before I go to bed.)  To me, it sounds like eating an elephant. But you know what they say?  "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."  

So I will plug away and do the best I can.  And if it doesn't happen today, it will happen tomorrow -- and that's okay.  My psychologist was right: my perfectionist nature does get in my way.  So I'm throwing it out the window -- well, after I've cleaned the window, made new curtains for it, ... LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment